Rear to front  

So I'd love to get some experiences on when you switched your kids from rear to front facing. I know all the latest data says 2 yrs rear is safest, and I'm in California so in 2017 that becomes law anyway.However, I am struggling with it with my 13mo old. I have super top of the line safe convertible seat, installed in my 2016 minivan. However, my kid pushes so hard on the seat with his feet that he is actually able to tilt the car seat back and make it way off the recommended level. It's as tight as humanly possible in the seat, installed exactly as directed. It's been inspected at the fire station. But with leather seats and a hulk baby he keeps jacking it up and I have to readjust it.So, at this point in wondering if he would really be safer if I went ahead and flipped the seat around forward facing so that it would have the rear anchor holding it down as well, and he wouldn't be able to move it.Can you give me some advice/experiences on the subject? Thanks!

If you don't mind, what kind of seat do you have?

Maxi-Cosi Pria 85

Most seats do have a little give front to back, but that really doesn't sound right. Was the fire station inspection actually by a trained car seat technician? Also, I know you probably don't want to hear this if you've spent a lot of money on a seat, but not all seats fit well in all cars. Sometimes the vehicle seat's contours and angles don't mesh well with the base of a certain car seat. If you've got friends with a different seat (or you can test out seats at a lot of baby stores) you might see if another seat installs a little better in your car.

Yep, trained tech! I'm thinking of trying another seat. I'm 35wks pregnant with #2 so within the next year I'll have to buy 2 more convertible seats anyway (for my husband's car and mine) so I might find the right one for my van and get 2 and move the other Pria to husband's truck. Already have the same one in there now and it's definitely a better fit but our son doesn't spend a ton of time in it lately to see if he hulk pushes that one out of place too.

Oh man that's supposed to be a good seat, I know you'd hate to have to buy another. Have you tried to install it with both LATCH and seatbelt? (not at the same time, just sometimes I know a lot of people try to avoid seatbelt installs) Sometimes it makes a difference. I know I've had issues with getting a solid fit with LATCH with some vehicle/seat combinations.

You know, I was totly one of the avoid seat belt people. I've only done latch. Might run out and try the seat belt install tonight!

In terms of safety, they are equal. It's just that LATCH is usually easier to do, that's why it's typically preferred. It might be worth a try before moving on to something else!

Just switched it over. Does feel a little more secure, but we'll see how hulk baby does in it tomorrow! I smacked the hell out of my head on the door frame though and I blame you, cordial_carbonara!

Haha sorry about that! If it makes you feel any better I almost killed myself installing 5 different seats today ;P I know messing with those things while being big pregnant basically just sucks though, I definitely don't envy you there!

You have to observe the law where you are, regardless.But in Australia they only have to rear face for six months.

no it would not be safer. if i were you, i would contact the car seat manufacturer and ask them for tips to keep it in place. maybe one of those rubbery mats that goes under the car seat?

Share: